The Miss G__ Project for Equity in Education, a grassroots, young feminist organization working to combat oppression in and through education, is looking for summer interns. Here’s what they need:
We are looking for one or two smart, strong, sassy high school students for a six-week, part-time volunteer internship at our Toronto office this summer.
In becoming part of the G__ unit for the summer, you will be doing high school outreach programming for the Miss G__ Project, which will include things like:
- research and workshop development
- event planning and networking
- media and material development
This is an excellent opportunity for one or two energetic students with and strong leadership skills to gain experience working with a provincial feminist organization made up primarily of young (early 20s) women from a variety of backgrounds.
We’re looking for students with:
- smarts and enthusiasm
- an interest in gaining experience in feminist activism
- some knowledge of and/or experience in feminist politics (and a
desire to learn)
- strong organization and communication skills
- basic computer skills
What it will involve:
- one or two days a week at our Toronto office
- six weeks starting July 7th
- working with teachers, other high school students, politicians, and university students
- partial reimbursement for travel costs associated with this position (i.e. TTC tokens) may be available
You should be into:
- working in a casual, informal office where music is always playing
- gossiping about politics, music, and pop culture
- working independently without a lot of structure and with co-workers who are usually 20 minutes late (so it’s okay if your alarm doesn’t go off too)
- eating tacos (the office is located across from a little place with the “best” tacos in the city)
But above all else — you must have a strong dedication to standing up against sexism, racism, classism, and homphobia!
Our motto is “If there’s no dancing at the revolution, I don’t want to be there.”
Please email your resume and cover letter detailing why you think you would be perfect for this position to themissgproject AT gmail DOT com.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: JULY 1, 2007.
A bit about us: Dedicated to feminist anti-oppression politics with a strong focus on education, the mandate of the Miss G__ Project is to provide young people, particularly young women, with the opportunity, support, and resources necessary to analyze and influence issues that
affect their lives. This includes acting as a community resource as well as mounting political actions towards the ongoing improvement of publicly funded education to meet its own policy commitments to equity in education, respect for diversity, critical thinking, and the
provision of a safe and secure environment. Our current objective is to get a Women’s & Gender Studies Course into the Ontario Secondary School Curriculum.
For more info about us, please visit our website .