I’m always intrigued and excited to find out about a band that’s exploring new territory when it comes to what music can do. That’s why it was so great to find out about The Billie Hollies.
The joined talents of Coralie Martens (piano, vocals, French horn), Julia Hambleton (clarinet, bass clarinet, vocals), Janet Morassutti (guitar, vocals), and Donna Linklater (lead vocals, autoharp), make up one super-cool band.
Second, because they’re experimenting with music. Watch the video below to see The Billie Hollies rehearse music inspired by Claudia Dey’s Stunt which was performed at Torn from the Pages, a cabaret-style event that happened this past weekend and featured musicians and bands performing new music inspired by Coach House Books.
Along with The Billie Hollies, other musicians performed including:
* Dave Bidini performing music inspired by Christian Bök’s Eunoia
* The Prince Brothers performing music inspired by Jeramy Dodds’s Crabwise to the Hounds
* Wayne Petti (Cuff the Duke) performing music inspired by Andrew Wedderburn‘s The Milk Chicken Bomb
* Paul Linklater performing music inspired by Guy Maddin’s My Winnipeg
* Selina Martin performing music inspired by Darren O’Donnell’s Your Secrets Sleep With Me
Be sure to check out more from The Billie Hollies at www.myspace.com/thebilliehollies.
You can also look forward to an interview with The Billie Hollies lead singer, Donna Linklater, next Thursday for my Shameless Women column.