Shameless magazine, Canada’s independent, feminist voice for young women and trans youth, is hiring a columns editor. Are you devoted to grassroots publishing? Do you have a commitment to anti-oppression and inclusive feminist politics? Do you have some time to volunteer and a vision for Shameless? Then we need you.
We are looking for a smart, sassy, shameless person to work as our new columns editor.
• Works with the editorial team to plan and assign the columns section
• Assigns stories to writers and works directly with writers to shape stories
• Edits stories
• Occasionally represents the website and/or the magazine at events such as Canzine and Word on the Street
The ideal candidate will:
• Have an understanding of and commitment to Shameless’s mandate
• Have excellent writing and editing skills
• Be super organized and an excellent communicator
• Have lots of story ideas (contacts with writers is a plus)
• Be available for regular editorial meetings
• Work well with a team
We are looking for people who work well collaboratively, who have a good sense of Shameless’s editorial vision, who are committed to anti-racist feminist politics, who have editorial experience, and who are excellent communicators and work well over email (Shameless has no office).
All positions are part-time, requiring 5-10 hours per week, depending on the production cycle of the magazine. Most people who work on the magazine do so outside of regular business hours, and meetings will likely be held during evenings and weekends.
Like all roles on this volunteer-run magazine, these positions are unpaid. (If you have ideas for how we can change that, then please get in touch!)
We strongly encourage applications from women and trans people of colour and Indigenous women and trans people, queer and gender-queer folks, and those with experience with anti-racist feminist politics and/or anti-racist feminist organizations. Preference will be given to residents of the Greater Toronto Area to facilitate face-to-face meetings with magazine staff.
Please email a resume, a cover letter containing your ideas for the magazine/website, and three writing samples (published or unpublished) to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is Friday, December 21, 2012. We’ll contact you if we’d like to set up an interview.